We all have daily family and business activities that produce carbon emissions, we all have distances to travel large and small, and we all live in a cold climate that needs substantial energy inputs.
That’s not to say we can’t reduce our own unnecessary energy practices over time. Having everyone reduce their carbon emissions at source is the best way to help control climate change. But it is difficult for most Canadians to substantially reduce or fully eliminate the greenhouse gas emissions attributable to their activities.
The Rideau Valley Conservation Foundation gives you another option...we will calculate the amount of carbon produced and then plant native tree seedlings for your family vehicle, for your community event, for your small business fleet to offset some or all of the carbon which you unconsciously produce by living and working here in the Rideau Valley.
Trees absorb carbon dioxide from the air and capture it in their wood cells as part of their life cycle. We can plant enough trees to offset partially or totally the amount of carbon you are responsible for in your daily life.
You make carbon, trees remove it = carbon neutral.
Three Easy Ways to Go Carbon Neutral
- Families or individuals can calculate their own carbon output from websites; they can contact us and we will plant the appropriate number of trees for them to offset the amount of carbon they wish (we can help you with the calculations too if you want).
- Local conference/meeting organizers can contact us to get an estimate of the number of trees needed to offset their event based on the number of participants and where they come from; people get a quick idea of the number of trees and RVCF takes care of the rest.
- Small business wanting to go carbon neutral can call us for a professional, detailed estimate of their carbon emissions and the number of trees needed to offset; we will then plant the trees for the participant the following spring.
The total, all inclusive cost to the participant is $3 per tree planted on their behalf.
The Benefits of "Going" Carbon Neutral
Value to the participant:
- good feeling of good citizenship
- community leadership
- low cost, local solution to offset your carbon footprint
- text and participation logo for your website and
- meeting publications
- prominent mention on the Conservation Foundation website
Value to the Conservation Foundation:
- more trees planted in the Rideau watershed
- more positive exposure in the community
- value-added feature to many other conservation projects
Value to the environment:
- cleaner air
- cleaner water
- more wildlife habitat
- more greenspace and recreation
Carbon Neutral Super Stars
- LiVE 88.5 FM in Ottawa (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, plus reforestation support from 2010-2015)
- velofix Ottawa (2016, 2019, 2020)
- EverGreen Window Solutions (2019, 2020)
- Elephant Print (2020)
- The Tea Room, Queen's University (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- Carleton Refrigeration, Heating and Air Conditioning Ltd. (2018)
- Little Ray’s Reptile Zoo Inc. (2016)
- Real Property Institute of Canada (2014)
- Capital Junk (2013)
- Green Motion Travel (2012)
- Christopher Simmonds, Architect (2011)
- Monterey Inn (2005)
Community Events and Conferences
- Ottawa Greek Fest (2019)
- Meeting Planners International (MPI), their own meetings and events (2012, 2013, 2015, 2018)
- Canadian Public Relations Society Annual Conference, Ottawa/Gatineau (2013)
- Société québecoise de science politique Annual Conference, University of Ottawa (2009)
- Ontario Council of Folk Festivals Annual Conference (2009)
- WATERCUBE: Le Making of; Photo exhibition, University of Toronto (2008)
- Ontario Conservation Authorities’ Hockey Tournament (2007)
- International Conference on the Rights of the Child, University of Ottawa, (2007)
- Willow Group Conference (2006, 2007)
- Ottawa Dragon Boat Race Festival (2005)
- The Animals in this Country: A Canadian Literature Symposium, University of Ottawa, (2005)